History of Kulpmont Borough
Incorporated August 24, 1915
The Borough of Kulpmont was incorporated August 24, 1915; with the First Council Meeting being an Organization Meeting was held on January 03, 1916 with the meeting being called to order by the Honorable Ralph E. Stroup – Chief Burgess. At this time Thomas Johnson was nominated and elected as President of Council. The following were elected as Council Members: John Eishemmuller, John Taraskavage, Leon Molesky, Sandi Nairmo, John Clauser, and Lewis Steller.
A motion elected Thomas Johnson temporary Secretary. Motion elected Joseph Brazaltis as Clerk of Council. Motion elected Joseph McFadden as Borough Treasurer. Motion elected Charles Ambrose as Solicitor. Motion elected Charles Moran as Borough Engineer. Motion elected Frank Chesney as Borough Supervisor.
Kulpmont Borough Council Meeting held on January 11, 1916, with the meeting being called to order by President Thomas Johnson. At this time the following committees were formed for the first time: Finance, Street and Sewer, Water, Fire, Police, Light, Printing, Ordinance, Health, Law, Purchasing, and Auditing. At this time the first Ordinance was read and adopted – No. 1 Arresting Disorderly Persons and Vagrants disturbing the peace within the Borough of Kulpmont. Ordinance No. 2 To Prevent the Obstruction of the Pavements and Sidewalks and prohibit the use of vile and offensive language thereon, with fines issued. Ordinance No. 3 The Appointment and Regulation of Policemen and for any person notified of their appointment as in Section 1 at least five days before Council meeting.
At this time President Johnson appointed the following Policemen, Allen Purks – Chief, Joseph Politza, Gable Priest, Charles Malumasky, Ben Taraskavage, William Kriwicki, Joseph Aulchefsky, Harrison Baylor, Andrew Bressi, Frank Sevetski, William Mummaw, Larry Lodotia, Ben Barkofski, Moyer, Seelock, Joseph Feudale, Thomas Hill, Charles Zlotozinski, Witt Miller, John Zalefsky and Tony Anonia – Special Policeman.
At this time Board of Health Members were appointed: Tony Anoya – One Year, Frank Seretsky- Two Years, Dan Harkins – Three Years, Dr. – Four Years, and James Kane – Five Years.
The Bank the Borough used at that time was Dime Deposit. Motion passed for the meetings to be held on the first Tuesday of every month.
Kulpmont Borough Council Meeting held January 18, 1916, with the meeting being called to order by President Thomas Johnson. During this meeting Ordinance No. 5 was read and adopted Regulating Traffic on the Streets and Highways of the Borough. Ordinance No. 6 was read and adopted Fixing Bonds of Secretary and Health Officer of the Board of Health. Ordinance No. 7 was read and adopted Declaring all Streets to be public Highways and Imposing Penalties for their Obstruction. Ordinance No. 8 was read and adopted Prohibiting the fire of Firearms. Ordinance No. 9 was read and adopted Regulating the Business of Transient and Wholesale Merchants. Ordinance No. 10 was read and adopted Regulating Hawking, Peddling, and Canvassing.
Kulpmont Borough Council Meeting held January 18, 1916, with the meeting being called to order by President Thomas Johnson. At the previous meeting the motion to appoint the policemen was repealed. At this time Council appointed the following policemen: Allen Purks – Chief, Joseph Politza, Gable Priest, Charles Malinaksy, Ben Taraskavage, William Kriwicki, Joseph Aulchefsky, Harrison Baylor, Andrew Bressi, Frank Sevetski, Bill Mummaw, Larry Lodotia, Ben Barkofski, Phillip Moyer, Charles Seelock, Joseph Feudale, Thomas Hill, Charles Glotozinsky, Witt Miller, John Zalefsky, Tony Anonia, and John Oleanaricic – Special Policemen.